19 Alte Schmiede
- The forge had already existed before 1147. In the same year, it was given to the Stift Rein by the Earls of Traungau.
- The building has had many owners and has often been altered.
- It is among the oldest forges in Styria and may very well be the oldest commercial enterprise operating non-stop in all of Austria!
- It has always been a blacksmith’s forge for carriages and for the shoeing of horses.
- The last smith active was Franz Prentner, who worked here until 1971. Later, the forge became a museum.
- As the floor lies below street level, it is assumed that the square lay substantially deeper in earlier times than it does today.
- The building is not listed.