02 Haus Vesko
- The house had probably served as a “drying house” (for the drying of raw salt obtained in the salt mines) until the end of the 16th century.
- A contract from 1594 shows that a Philipp Schrempf was allowed to build a “farrier’s house” (equipment for the fitting of horseshoes) from this point onwards. For this purpose, a farrier was established and from 1647 onwards it became a full-fledged forge.
- Eduard Grogger from Mitterndorf, bought the house, renovated it and opened a coffee house on the 24th of December 1859 – a pioneering achievement in tourism.
- In 1880, Franz and Anna Vesco acquired the property. The house was rebuilt several times and from 1913 on, it served as a coffee house, ball room and hotel.
- In 1955, the company was closed and the ground floor was rented to the Meinl Company (Wiener Feinkostgeschäft with branches all over Austria).
- After that it was rent to the Billa Group and later to a drugstore chain. A hairdressers’ company has found its place in this house for several generations.